Pedal Another Mile

Bicycling, death, life after death.

Lazy Day

Well thank goodness I started drinking early yesterday afternoon, as I was able to get good and drunk early, and then give it a long time to wear off. I was a happy drunk, which is a good thing, considering how in the months leading up to September I had more than my fair share of "miserable drunk" nights. Last night was the first time I've been drunk in four months... glad it was the better kind of drunk :) The company was great - I don't think they would have allowed me to be a miserable drunk even if I wanted to.

Still, I know that I have to keep my drinking in check. It's one of those things I just have to do to keep moving forward. Billy Jo was worried I'd go off the deep end after she died. I promised her I wouldn't do that.

Even though I stopped drinking at like 7:30, I was up until 1:00. It was supposed to rain today so I was not counting on getting a bike ride in. Well for some reason I woke up at 6:00 and the weather looked cooperative, so I (insanely) got up, dressed, and out the door. 

I got to the park just as the sun began to rise, It was awesome. I was very very glad I woke up and witnessed it. It's just so peaceful watching the sunrise over the ocean. It's hard to be in a bad or sad mood witnessing this. 

Then I got on my bike.

UGH. It sucked :). Well, it was more of a chore I didn't want to do than enjoyable. Who knew five hours of sleep and and least twice as many beers would do such a thing? I turned around at mile 6.5, kidding myself that I'd ride past the car in the other direction to the inlet, and then back. Yeah, by mile 10 I knew that wasn't going to happen.

Still, I got 13 miles in.  This puts me at 150 for 2013, 200 since I got down here. Considering how the first 364 days of 2012 I had 450 total, I'd say things are off to a good start this year.

Nothing really special about yesterday's ride...30 miles, first half into the wind, hammering a bit again on way back. Vladimir's massage is still holding - no neck or shoulder pain to speak of during either of these rides. IT band seems to be doing ok.

Yesterday's ride:

Today's "ride" :

After the ride I came back to the house and took a three hour nap. I may take another one. I just don't feel like doing much today. Lazy lazy.

I'm beginning to get concerned about how I will be once my time down here is over and I have to go back home. I know that will be the real test. I hope in the coming weeks I continue to gather enough strength to pass the test, at least with a 'C' . At the same time I know it will be a challenge, but it won't be the worst challenge I've had to deal with. I don't think anything will ever be as bad as those final weeks and somehow I made it through. Still, I am not going to bury the concern in my mind or not talk about it - I must confront it. I keeping reminding myself a meltdown is likely coming, and that will be ok - I will be ok. I just wish I knew when.

Tomorrow is DEFINITELY a no-ride day. I have a lot of stuff to do for work tomorrow, and some shopping I need to do. Plus, I rode seven of the last eight days - it is time for a day off.

Today, I leave you with two pics of what made getting up after five hours of sleep worth it. Enjoy.